If you’re like most people, you dream of one day upgrading your current kitchen to something a little more luxurious. But what if your existing kitchen is small and cramped?
Don’t worry–with a few simple tips, you can learn the best way how to remodel a small kitchen to make it feel bigger and more functional.
How To Remodel A Small Kitchen
A kitchen remodel is a big undertaking—one that can sometimes feel a little bit overwhelming. This can be especially true if you have a small space to work with.
Many homeowners face the same challenges when it comes to remodeling a small kitchen. But with careful planning and execution, it can also be a big success.
In this blog post, we’ll give you some tips and tricks for how to remodel your kitchen so that it’s both functional and stylish.
Keep reading to learn more!
Set Your Budget
The first step in how to remodel a small kitchen is to decide how much you’re willing to spend. That’s why it’s important to set your budget right from the start.
Plan All Expenses
Determine how much you can afford to spend on your project, then plan all expenses accordingly. When it comes time to choose materials, select appliances, and hire a contractor, it’s easy for costs to spiral out of control. That’s why it’s vital to write all your expenses down and then stick to the plan!
Have A Contingency Fund
No matter how well you plan, there are inevitably going to be some cost overruns. This is why it’s crucial to include a contingency fund in your budget in case of unexpected costs. Most remodeling experts recommend that you add about 20% to your total planned expenses.
Know How You Will Fund Your Kitchen Remodel
When planning how to remodel a small kitchen, you’ll need to think about how you’ll fund the project. Depending on the scope of the work, a kitchen remodel can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands.
Here are 4 common ways many people fund their small kitchen remodels:
- Home equity loan: If you have equity in your home, you may be able to take out a home equity loan or line of credit to fund your small kitchen remodel
- Personal savings: This is probably the most obvious option, but it can also be the most difficult. Depending on how much money you have to save each month, it could take years to come up with enough for a major kitchen remodel. If you’re patient, though, and willing to make some sacrifices, this is a great way to finance your project without going into debt
- Credit cards: If you have good credit, planning how to remodel a small kitchen becomes much easier. You may be able to finance your kitchen remodel with a low-interest credit card. This can be a good option if you’re reasonably sure you’ll be able to pay off the balance within a year or two. Just be aware that if you carry a balance beyond that, the interest charges will start to add up quickly
- Borrow from family or friends: If you have people in your life who are willing and able to lend you money, this can be a great option for financing your kitchen remodel. Just be sure to draw up a written agreement that outlines the terms of the loan, including when and how you’ll repay it. Otherwise, things could get messy down the road
Whatever financing option you choose during this phase of how to remodel a small kitchen, be sure to talk to a financial advisor and compare interest rates and terms before making a decision. You should also talk to your contractor since some of them offer their own financing arrangements.
Determine Your Priorities
What are the most important features of your kitchen? Is storage a top priority, or do you want to focus on creating a more open and inviting space?
Once you identify your priorities, you can start to plan your project. If kitchen storage is your main concern, you might want to consider adding new cabinets or new storage options. Or, if you want a more luxurious look, consider installing marble countertops.
Maybe you’re more interested in creating a more open feel. Consider removing some walls or reconfiguring your cooking space layout. If you want to give your kitchen a more modern look, stainless steel appliances can do just that.
By taking the time to identify your priorities, you can ensure that your small kitchen remodel is a success.
Now, let’s move on to the next phase of how to remodel a small kitchen.
Know Your Timeline
Timelines are a crucial part of any remodeling project. If using a contractor, be sure to establish a clear line of communication and transparency about when various stages of the kitchen remodel will be completed.
A kitchen remodeling timeline can also be useful for determining the order that different steps of the kitchen remodel will be completed. Some steps will need to be done before others. For example, don’t schedule a new paint job before you schedule a demolition that could damage the new paint.
Tips For How To Remodel A Small Kitchen
Small kitchens present their own design challenges. But, their size restrictions can also be a catalyst for imaginative solutions.
Here are 6 design tips for remodeling your small kitchen:
1. Open Shelving
Open shelving is a great way to make a small kitchen feel bigger. Open shelving also allows you to showcase your favorite dishes and glassware. You can also make the most of the limited counter space and storage space by installing floating shelves or hanging pot racks.
2. Tall Cabinets
A lack of extra storage is one of the biggest complaints from small kitchen owners. It’s a huge reason why people look into how to remodel a small kitchen. Kitchen cabinets that fully utilize precious vertical space and go all the way to the ceiling can be one easy solution. Another benefit of tall kitchen cabinets that touch the ceiling is that they eliminate the gap between the top of the cabinets and the ceiling. They also make the ceiling feel higher, which can make a small kitchen feel less cramped.
3. Open Plan Concept
If your small kitchen is closed off from the rest of your home, consider opening it up by knocking down a wall or two, especially if it reveals your dining room. This will not only make the small space feel larger, but it will also allow you to incorporate more natural light. This is a major plus in any kitchen remodel project.
4. Small Kitchen Island
This is a very popular idea that homeowners consider when thinking about how to remodel a small kitchen. A small kitchen island can provide additional storage and prep space without making the room feel too crowded. Plus, it’s a great place to display décor items or host dinner parties!
5. Minimize Clutter
Organization is key in any remodel, but it’s especially important in a small space. Install shelves and racks on the walls and invest in some pot racks or hanging baskets. Use drawer dividers and cabinet space organizers to keep everything in its place. Keep counter space clear and floor space free of clutter to make your small kitchen feel more spacious.
6. Install A Mirror Or Window To Create An Illusion Of Space
Hang a mirror or install a window above your sink to give the illusion of more space. This trick is often used in hotel rooms and other areas that have a small space.
What Is The Best Layout For A Small Kitchen Remodel?
This part of how to remodel a small kitchen focuses on functionality.
While there is no single type of layout that is best for a small kitchen, there are several types that tend to work best in small kitchens. Whichever layout you choose, you’ll want to make sure that the layout is efficient and that the work triangle is intact.
The work triangle is the space between the fridge, stove, and sink—the three main workhorses of the kitchen. Keep this area as clear as possible so you can move freely while cooking.
That being said, let’s take a closer look at 3 popular layouts that people look at during this part of how to remodel a small kitchen.
- L-Shaped Layout: As the name suggests, an L-shaped layout utilizes two walls of the kitchen to create a work triangle. An L-shaped layout can also provide more counter space, which can be used for food prep or as a breakfast bar. If you’re planning a small kitchen remodel, the L-shaped layout may be the perfect option for you
- Galley Kitchen Layout: The galley layout is characterized by two parallel rows of kitchen cabinets and countertops, with a walkway in between. This type of layout is often used in smaller kitchens because it’s an efficient way to use space. With the galley layout, you can easily reach all of your kitchen cabinet doors and appliances without having to walk around the room. Plus, this layout tends to create a natural flow in the kitchen, making it easier to cook and clean
- Single-Wall Layout: This layout places all of the elements of the kitchen along one wall. This can create a more open feel in your kitchen and is an excellent option if your kitchen is long and narrow. One of the benefits of the single-wall layout is that it can be very efficient, as all of the elements are within easy reach
Another important element when looking into how to remodel a small kitchen is cost.
How Much Does It Cost To Remodel A Small Kitchen?
The cost of remodeling a small kitchen varies widely depending on the scope of the project and the cost of the materials you select. That being said, the average cost of a kitchen remodel in the South Atlantic region ranges from $28,000 to $158,000, according to data compiled by Remodeling by JLC.
Kitchen remodel costs in Henrico, VA, are available if you’d like to know what they are.
*Please note that this range is based on averages that encompass every type of kitchen remodel job. This means anything from minor handyman work to full upscale remodeling projects. The process for how to remodel a small kitchen is a high-skill craft, so you can expect to pay a premium for quality work.
Fabling Built Can Bring Your Dream Kitchen To Life
No matter what your budget, timeline, or priorities are, it is possible to remodel your small kitchen into the space of your dreams. By following the tips and layouts we’ve provided above, you can create a beautiful and functional kitchen that will make all of your friends and family jealous.
Are you ready to get started on your small kitchen remodel? We’d love to help. Just fill out our contact form today.